I’ve created a new category on this blog: My Choices. Here I’ll talk about software, tech.. anything I use and I think It’s worth a try. I don’t want to give a full description or review but just few tips, pros and cons.
Let’s start with a text editor/IDE.
I start using PSPad, then I switch to Notepad++, then to UltraEdit. Each of these has many features and can be considered a great editor but I think this choice (the editor is one of my most used software) is also a matter of taste.
What I want is:
- a light but good looking user interface;
- cross platform (I switch frequently from windows to linux and maybe in future Mac OS);
- programmability (not too complicated, just scripting of executing bat/sh);
- column selection;
- colour highlighting and formatting for source code;
- single file/projects management;
After trying for some time Sublime Text 2, I can say it satisfy all these needs. It is one of the fastest editors I’ve tried out, with a light and interference free UI, it’s cross-platform and has a great community of developers that creates plug-ins and themes for any needs.
It’s definitely my choice! 😀